I promised myself last year I wouldn’t do this, mostly because it just seemed to easy, but who am I kidding, I’d be foolish not to do a list featuring my favorite stoner movies. Besides, I gotta dedicate this list to my fellow stoner pals (you know who you are), and I won’t name names.
So, without further ado, let the countdown begin!
Oh…and of course… LEGALIZE IT!
13. “Reefer Madness” – This 1935 Louis J. Gasnier propaganda flick was supposed to scare the shit outta wannabe potheads, but “Reefer Madness” achieved something its filmmakers never intended, it instead became a cult classic. Not only is it embarrassingly funny at times, but it’s also an interesting watch for any film history enthusiasts out there. Decades later this film spawned a stage musical/movie musical adaptation, neither which are all to brag about.
12. “Super High Me” – Comic, Doug Benson, borrows tips from doc filmmaker, Morgan Spurlock, by participating in double 30 days challenge. Benson who’s a pot lover at heart, goes cold turkey for 30 days and runs some professional tests with help from the medical/scientific community. THEN, he smokes pot 30 days straight, more so than any pot user should. The results…quite interesting.
11. “Tenacious D: The Pick Of Destiny” – C’mon folks it’s the D! They’re the reason why todays generation wants to smoke weed and sing rock ‘n’ roll (at the same time). It’s a heavily underrated movie, and is a true testament to the undying fans of the rock and D.
10. “PCU” – This is a movie I just recently had the pleasure of watching, and my gawd…why haven’t I seen this movie before??? Jeremy Piven, David Spade, Chris Young, and young Jon Favreau all star. While “PCU” is strictly not a pothead movie per-say it has elements of stoner activity among the ner-do-wells of The Pit and the campus potheads, who spend their days playing Frisbee. It’s an amusing insight to the 90’s college world.
9. “Knocked Up” – Getting stoned with your buddies in a fish bowl, watching nude scenes in movies, and getting some random chick preggers. Yep…it’s a Judd Apatow movie.
8. “Half Baked” – Some may be asking me, why isn’t this higher on the list, my answer, ‘It’s a dumb movie.’ But, it’s an amusing dumb movie and a guilty pleasure at best. Perhaps is the only role Jim Breuer will ever be hailed in as ‘funny’.
7. “Cheech and Chong: Up In Smoke” – Cheech and Chong, the godfathers of pot movies, yuck it up in their first cinematic outing. While there continuous duo movies failed to evoke anything humorous, it was “Up in Smoke” that really set the bar high for classic stoner comedy.
6. “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas” – Hunter S. Thompson’s hypnotic odyssey explores more so about other durgs than pot, but it still makes the list because you can certainly associate pot smoking some where in the film. I’d like to think that Johnny Depp’s Raoul Duke mixed greens and tabacco together in that cigarette he smokes throughout the film.
5. “Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back” – Before Harold & Kumar, and after Cheech & Chong, there was Jay & Silent Bob. Kevin Smith’s supporting knuckleheads from the ViewAskewAverse finally get their shining moment under the spot light in their very own movie. While “Strike Back” maintains to evoke the heart of Smith’s past movies the duo where featured in, the movie is still an amusing romp and a cult classic for fans of Smith’s movies.
4. “Dazed and Confused” – Who says stoner movies cannot also be a coming of age tale too? Richard Linklater seem’s to think it can. The “School of Rock” directors earliest film is about the last days of high school set in the mid-70s when sex, drugs, and rock and roll was all the rage. Features the classic supporting performances of Matthew McConaughey.
3. “Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle” – Harold & Kumar’s approach was to be the Cheech & Chong for a GenX audience and they succeeded. Much like “Up in Smoke” did, this film takes such a simplistic idea and goes completely balls off the wall with it in every way. Only sequels ruin the concept by beating a dead horse to the ground with gross out gags after gross out gags. But, to give the series some credit, the Christmas threequel was pretty darn good. Still, nothing beats the first.
2. “Pineapple Express” – Probably my favorite stoner movie of the last decade…
1. “The Big Lebowski” – …but the Dude wins it for all time. The Dude Abides. Face it, you all saw this coming a mile a way. Pop this movie in and watch it with a bud. ;)